Santorini is a beautiful Greek island that I visited a few years back with my Mum. To this day I would recommend it to anyone mainly because of its serenity, beauty and the blissful feeling that seems to encompass this place. An enormous volcanic eruption divided what was once a single island into what is now Santorini. It takes the shape of a crescent and curves around a much smaller island called Theresia was also left by the volcano. In the middle of these there is a lagoon of water and the views of Theresia from Santorini are just stunning. Here are 10 reasons why you need to visit this beautiful beautiful place.
1. The Cliffs: The cliffs around Santorini are pretty iconic. They are what initially made me really want to visit the island and they are so picturesque. Hotels, restaurants, pools and apartments are built down the cliff side in an incredible way that really makes you wonder how on earth they they did it. But the vision that this creates is so beautiful.
2. The colours – Pure whites and blues dominate the Island. The hazy Mediterranean light alongside these colours casts a dreamlike quality over Santorini and you feel as though you are a million miles away from reality.
3. The sunsets – Sunsets are pretty popular wherever you are in world but there is something about the sunsets in Santorini that was even more special. It might have something to do with the fact that as the sun starts dipping low in the sky everyone gathers around the edge of the cliff ready to enjoy the beautiful moments. You can see people lining all around the edge all united to see one amazing, natural phenomena.
4. Greek Salads – A obvious reason but there is something so refreshing about a fresh Greek salad. It is the perfect, light but tasty meal to enjoy in the heat.
5. Baklava – Baklava is one of the most delicious, sweet desserts and I definitely indulged in a lot of this whilst in Santorini. It is extremely sweet and syrupy so a definite choice if you have a sweet tooth.
6. Romance – Santorini is definitely a place to come with a partner. The whole island just feels so romantic and the various weddings that we encountered whilst we were there definitely confirm Santorini as a romantic destination. The soft light and glow that the sunsets cast over the island are almost rose tinted with romance.
7. Bathing in mud – There are places all around the island where you can bath in the volcanic mud. It is a vibrant orange colour and will mark your swimming costume if it is pale!!! But it is so fun rolling around in it and covering yourself with it.
8. Exploring – Whilst Santorini is the perfect place to relax, there is also lots of exploring to be done. When I go away I love just wandering around and seeing what the streets and roads are like and in Santorini you can get lost in a maze of stairways and little streets that are all just so beautiful.
9. Boat trips – Naturally, as Santorini is an island there are numerous boat trips that you can take around the island. Seeing Santorini from a boat offers a different view of the spectacular cliffs and you realise how little of the cliffs are actually built into even though when you are staining on top of the island, the hotels and restaurants seem to climb so far down the cliffside.
10. The views – I think I have already mentioned this really but this is what really will capture your heart about Santorini. The whole island is a feast for your eyes and you will capture some beautiful views in your mind that you never went to forget.