Under the cover

Yesterday, I came to the end of a really good novel that I had been reading for the last 5 days or so. At first I felt happily satisfied as I turned the final page and laid down the book; now dog-eared and littered with various tell tale crinkles on the front cover and creases down the spine. It wasn’t until a couple of hours had passed that I suddenly had a strange feeling that something was missing, a feeling of disappointment and sadness. I felt as though something amazing had ended… I soon realised it was in fact because my book had ended.

Image

For the last few days, it had been my companion with whom I had turned to on many occasions. When I was bored, if I had a spare moment on my hands or when I simply wanted to immerse myself in the world and the people within the story. But now that intimate relationship had ended. These characters that I had gotten to know so well suddenly were no more. Outside of the pages they simple didn’t exist and were merely figments of my memory! I was privileged enough to be invited into the private and confessional thoughts of a few individuals and for that short amount of time, I had become a part of their world. A special bond was created, a trust established between us that was so suddenly cut short. Maybe I am taking this connection with the characters too far but when I am lucky enough to stumble across a book that really engages me and draws me in, I am always left with this strange feeling of emptiness when the novel finishes.

Image

As a student of English Literature I spend quite a lot of my time skim reading a book in the space of a day in order to finish it before a seminar the following morning. I end up frantically trying to get to the last page and as you can imagine, this leaves little room for any enjoyment. As key details are missed amongst the sea of black and white print that drowns me, it becomes impossible to truly get to know or understand the characters and immerse myself in the story – which is ironic as it was one of the main reasons I chose to study the subject! However, every now and again, I manage my time a little better and give myself a little longer to actually read the book. In these cases I find myself able to enjoy reading for readings sake. There is something extremely relaxing and pleasurable about being drawn deep into a book and feeling as though we have known the characters all our life. These people become our dearest friends, our most hated enemies for that period of time in which we are ensnared into an entire world opened up purely within the confines of 300 hundred pages or so. It is amazing how captivating the collection of words, a collection of pages bound between a cover and blurb, can be.

Image

When we truly allow ourselves to be drawn into a book, we enter into a journey of life. A new book arrives in our hands. Fresh; new born. Every page perfectly smooth as though each leaf of paper has been carefully ironed out. The front cover gleams and shines, inviting us in. Soft and unblemished with not a crease in sight, like the skin of a new baby. We, like an innocent child unaware of what life will bring, are naive to what the pages will hold. But by the end of the book, we have changed. We are so much wiser and this, like the deep wrinkles on an ageing persons face, each line with another interesting story to tell, is mirrored in the now crumpled pages of the book.

Image

Allowing myself time to actually enjoy a book, is something that is so important. For the last year and a half whilst being at uni, I have had so many books that i’ve had to read that I had found myself losing pleasure in reading as I was forcing myself through them. The last 5 days have reminded me how much I love to read. As much as the lost feeling I encountered when reaching the end of the novel was a little unsettling, I realise it is a positive one. It means that I really enjoyed the book and at the end of the day, this should be the first and foremost reason for reading.

Image

I challenge everyone who has read this post to make the time in the next couple of weeks to read a book. Not because you have to or because university/college tells you to, because you want to. Chose something that appeals to you, be it a classic, a chick flick, an autobiography.. whatever takes your fancy and I promise you that you will thank yourself after. The feelings aroused from a good book is one that cannot be easily replicated!
Happy reading!

Sass x

P.s. If anyone is interested, the book I recently finished is called ‘The Moonstone’ by Wilkie Collins. It is a piece of victorian detective fiction if you like that kind of thing 🙂

26 Comments

1. 18th April 2014 / 1:05 pm

Hi Sassa,

Loved your write-up absolutely…

Its really nice. The photographs are so nice and makes anyone pick a book right away from their library and start reading.

Motivated me to click LIKE and REBLOG your entire post. 😉

You are a nice writer. Saw your post just now in Blogging 101 Site.

You asked about feedback. I would suggest you to go for some other theme which has the font size a little bigger. Because this site is basically meant to be a wedding theme. For a writer like you.. i feel you should go for a beautiful theme which allows read to easily without frowning their eyebrows.

Wish you happy blogging Sassa….

Lots of love and hugs,
    ARK

• 18th April 2014 / 1:13 pm

Thank you so much for the comment and the reblog! It is really encouraging 🙂
      That is such a good suggestion, something I had never though of before! I will definitely look into using a different theme with bigger writing, I’m so glad you pointed this out to me 🙂
      I look forward to checking out your page now 🙂
      Sass x

• 18th April 2014 / 1:16 pm

hahahah. thanks a lot for taking my comments into consideration.

my blog? I am so grateful to you now.

I am not a big blogger like you… 🙁 learning lots from all you awesome bloggers.

• 18th April 2014 / 1:32 pm

Your blog is awesome! I love it, you are a much bigger blogger than me! I’m all new to this and everything is still a work in progress 🙂

• 21st April 2014 / 1:52 am

one year down the lane if you keep blogging this good… automatically you will soar than me… my inspiration for blogging is http://rarasaur.wordpress.com/

Kindly have a look at her blog. Also u may be wondering how to blog daily when you are having busy schedule. http://joeowensblog.wordpress.com/ this guy Joe blogs 365 days.

Subscribe them and see how they can inspire you.

Lots of love and hugs,
            ARK

• 21st April 2014 / 10:40 am

I’ll take a look now 🙂
            Sass x

• 22nd April 2014 / 12:43 am

Just popping in to send bloggy love to ARK & you both! *mwuah!! Whatever you need to reach your blogging aspirations, if there’s anything I can do… simply ask. 🙂

• 18th April 2014 / 1:16 pm

Love your headline and use of photos.

• 21st April 2014 / 1:50 am

Thank you so much Meredith.

2. Margy Rydzynski
    18th April 2014 / 2:00 pm

The Moonstone is a great detective novel precursor. Have you read any of his other books?

• 18th April 2014 / 2:02 pm

I haven’t as of yet, but it is definitely on my to do list! I think I will probably read The Woman in White next. Have you read any others? Do you have any recommendations? Or general victorian detective novels?

• Margy Rydzynski
        19th April 2014 / 2:58 pm

Try Sheridan LeFanu. He’s a bit cornier but definitely an early influence. Jane Austen’s Emma is also very early, although she was a major influence on later “Golden Age” mystery writers. Early Gothic novels (The Monk, Mysteries of Udolpho) also played a part.

3. 18th April 2014 / 2:41 pm

I love your writing style! You have given me not only an interesting read, but a style I can inspire to. Thanks for an interesting blog!

• 18th April 2014 / 2:50 pm

Thanks so much! I am glad that I have been an inspiration to you 🙂

4. 18th April 2014 / 3:00 pm

I understand completely. I give my self over to a good read; interject myself in the story. That’s why there are sequels. Do you think sequels are as good as the first? I recently read Patrick Carr’s trilogy, The Staff & The Sword. Each new book was a great as the first.

• 18th April 2014 / 3:04 pm

You are right! I think it varies, I have read sequels of books which didn’t compared in any way to the first but then sometimes they are just as good! It is a complete gamble

5. 18th April 2014 / 8:14 pm

I was an english lit major, too. Your post brought me back to the days when I’d have to do algebra to figure out if I could get my homework done on time. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about: subtract the last page number from the page you’re currently on and divide by the number of days you had left to finish the book. I sometimes had to read over 200 pages to get it all done!

• 18th April 2014 / 8:22 pm

Yes! I always find myself doing this! Then every day that I don’t complete my allocated word amount would mean that the amount I have to read in the following days left to finish the book increases! This is the story of my life haha
      Sass x

6. 18th April 2014 / 8:31 pm

Exactly! The best part was when a book you had to read for class was a book you absolutely loved to read. I had to read “The Matisse Stories” by A. S. Byatt for a college course. I actually read it twice before the due date. I just loved the language. Great blog, Sass, and your photos are beautiful!

7. 18th April 2014 / 9:36 pm

I love this post. I’ve always loved reading…I still dream of building my own Beauty and the Beast Library…but anytime a book was assigned for school it just killed the excitement. “The Scarlett Letter” and “A Tale of Two Cities” were two books I had wanted to read. I even purchased the “The Scarlett Letter” but the second they became required of me I lost interest. I have a few books already on my to read list. 🙂

• 18th April 2014 / 9:44 pm

Yes! A Beauty and the Best library would be incredible. I have also wanted to read “The Scarlett Letter” for ages! I will have to get it soon and read it 🙂

8. 21st April 2014 / 2:12 pm

Reblogged this on nOnedares and commented:
    exhibit A of a passionate book reader

9. 22nd April 2014 / 12:44 am

I love these pictures and I love-love books. I read ’em by the buckets. Are you on GoodReads?